Friday, May 24, 2013

How to paint Imperial fists....

I thought it was time to go step by step over how I paint my Imperial fists. I am certainly no master painter but I feel like my painting is easy to follow and would be a good base line to work from for some one new to the hobby.

The first step Is to base the armor with Averland sunset This took me 3 layers to get the level of coverage. I feel the same as most people you need to thin your paints if you want the paint to be smooth Everything you see is cut with at least 1/3 liquitex flow-aid to 2/3 paint but most of it is 1/2 flow-aid to 1/2 paint. You can also just use water But for how little it costs for the bottle of flow-aid I feel that its worth the few dollars to get the paint to work with me a bit easier.

the next step is 2 layers of Celestra Gray

thanks to red being a little better to work with one layer of Khorne red does the job


now some Mournfang brown for the base and the parts that will get painted to look like bone later






Adeptus battlegray for the crux termanatus





Leadbelcher onto any of the mettle parts





Loren Forest to base the green




some Hawk Turquoise for the wires. I like to add it in to break up the standard colors and after it is toned down later on I think it does wonders for the over all look.




 
Now we finally start heading towards looking good This time we are adding Reikland Fleshshade to the recesses to build in the shadows.

one more shot of the fleshshade from the back the legs are important to the final look





  

back to layering the yellow. Yriel Yellow this time and again it took about 3 layers to get to this point I would never recommend Yellow to any one new to painting of any one why wants to get an army done in a hurry. It is also a bad choice for any one with out steady hands making so meany layers adds to the chances of accidentally painting over your shadows like I have in places but I have a way to fix that later.





Now we add some White scar





Time to add in some Celestra grey high lights to the crux. I know they are to strong now but a wash later will fix that



Ushabti Bone on all the bone where needed
















Liche Purple lighting on the thunder hammer. Sorry I don't have the new Purples so i don't know what the new equivalent is 







now some White scar over parts of the purple on the hammer


 Some Nuln Oil on the mettle bits and the hammer handle and wire's make the look much better

   


  Some Leviathan Purple wash for the hammer head tones down the lighting



just some Adeptus battlegray on the base for the rocks


I cant be 100% sure why I took this one but I seem to have missed the Scorpion green high lights a few pictures ago so now is as good as any time to hit that point.




The last two shots are all of the final detailing in the form of clean up with my brown and black 005 micro pens with them I can clean out the small mistakes I made in the yellow covering shadows and accidentally painting the black in the joints.


That just about finishes this miniature I believe I just need to add on the grass to the base and perhaps some high lights on the rock on the base.   


No comments:

Post a Comment